PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:40 pm 
Marquis

Thanked 0 times for this post.
1,247 total thanks.
Say thanks

I agree with you except
sffitzge wrote:
variation is definitely the key to continue seeing improvements

Variation is definitely the key to continue seeing improvements if you're in advanced level. Even intermediate level guys don't need much of variation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:26 pm 
Knight

13 total thanks.
Say thanks

i respectfully disagree with you although I understand what you're try to say

the reason so many people enjoy crossfit and say its the best possible workout is due to the variation in the workouts, making sure you're muscles never become "comfortable" causes your body to work harder and for gains (strength, weightloss, whatever) to continue

yes if you're just starting to workout then anything, whether it is the exact same workout day in and day out, will cause you to see improvements (i.e. beginner's gains). and yes, if you know what you're doing you can stick to the key movements (squat, deadlift, benchpress) and see improvements but

for example, if you split up your workouts into back/bi, chest/tri, and legs like a lot of weightlifters do then trainers will tell you that on your chest day to do two pushing movements (i.e. incline barbell, regular BB, decline BB, incline dumbbell, regular DB, decline DB) but to change the exercises you pick from week to week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:25 pm 
Marquis

1,247 total thanks.
Say thanks

It seems we agree that it's all about context.
I believe that crossfit is a very good program but its strength is also its weakness. What I mean is that you can't improve your strength and endurance at the same time.

The last paragraph is true but I think this is the best choice for someone in advanced level whose goal is muscle hypertrophy.

That's where context and personal preferences come in. Anyway do you train/workout? If so what program do you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:59 pm 
Knight

13 total thanks.
Say thanks

i do some random cardio to stay in shape but in the gym I do a modified strength routine based on the madcow-5x5 routine. Right now i'm lifting for strength but in a couple months or so hopefully I'll be where I want to be then I'll change my routine again to more of a endurance style routine I guess you'd say

in case you don't feel like googling the routine its pretty basic, breaks down to mon,wed,fri each day you are suppose to do three basic lifts for instance

mon: squat, bench, barbell rows
wed: squat, overhead press, deadlift
fri: squat, bench, barbell rows

However, I usually do 6 exercises or so(but focus on the main three the most) and throw in some core strength exercises pretty regularly

Usually people who do the 5X5 routine are power-lifters who are use to doing 5-3-1 , the 5x5 program usually progresses from 5 sets of 5---> 5 sets of 3----> 5 sets of 1 but I'm planning on staying at the 5X5 because I don't compete or anything, I just want to get stronger, so far I've seen pretty good gains although I just lost access to the university gym for the summer so I need to find another place to workout

I was actually thinking of switching to a kettle-bell workout if I could find decently priced equipment then going back to the 5x5 routine in the fall

how about yourself?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:50 pm 
Marquis

1,247 total thanks.
Say thanks

I was in and out of gyms for a couple years doing bb shitty routines and gaining nothing. Two years ago I started strength training. Did for almost a year the stronglifts 5x5 and then switched to madcow 5x5.

But when I was doing both of these program my food was inadequate and my overall recovery far from ideal. So I didn't reach the strength levels I could. I changed to 5/3/1, had some good gains but February I joined army (as a conscript which is obligatory in Greece) and I quited training.

In the army all I did was running 2-3 miles every day with the military boots, so I lost weight. After April, my time in army is a lot easier; we do absolutely nothing that could fatigue us. So a month ago I started working out with linear progression (SS). Unfortunately the second week I got sick and today was the first workout after that.

My goal until November, when I'll leave army, is to workout as much as possible with a linear progression program. Either it is SS, Justin Lascek's lp or madcow. After November I'm going "balls to wall" until I reach a 200kg squat, 230kg dead, 140kg bench and some decent clean and ohp.
If and when that happens, maybe a pl comp..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:28 pm 
Knight

13 total thanks.
Say thanks

sounds like a good plan, i've been trying to lift regularly since I started college but unfortunately engineering doesn't leave me with a lot of free time. now that I'm trying to get my MS I have even less....

the real shitty thing is, now that I know how important nutrition is I'm eating a lot healthier but I'm not hitting the weights as hard because I have a crazy schedule. hopefully in the fall I'll be able to go "balls to the wall" and see some real gains